P5 - Place







Digital No. 1


Digital No. 2


Digital No. 3

\

Digital No. 4


Film No. 1


Film No. 2


Film No. 3


Film No. 4





Artist Statement 

I chose several locations to shoot for my “sense of place,” the first being my grandparent’s farm in De Smet, the second being at the community gardens, and the third being Aldersgate Church. 

I chose my grandparent’s farm because it is where my dad and his siblings all grew up, and where our family spent most holidays together. After my grandpa passed away a few years ago, our family stopped spending time at the farm, so I wanted to capture the land while it still is in good condition. In some of the photographs I captured the land itself, but also bits of my grandma’s workshop where she would renovate and repair antique furniture, a lot of which is still unfinished in her workshop decades later. In a few others, I wanted to capture picture memories of my grandpa’s shed, as well as the tree house my grandparents made for me, my siblings and my numerous cousins. 

The second location I chose was the community gardens. I chose this spot to embody its vacancy during the cooler fall months - with its bare trees, dead grass, and empty gardens with dry dirt. I put a few of my images in black and white to further embody that feeling of vacancy.

My last location I selected is Aldersgate Church, the church that has guided me and formed my faith - of which I am truly grateful. The church represents peace and comfort for me and my family, and is a place where I feel connected in body, mind, and spirit to the past, present, and future.








 

Comments

Popular Posts